Reduce The Waste
What does "reduce the waste" mean?
Stopping waste and/or reducing the toxicity of waste before it is produced is reduction. There are several ways to reduce your garbage. The list below is just a few of those.
- Buy products with packaging made of recycled materials.
- Buy concentrated products. Many products have been reformulated to work using less product.
- Buy refill systems whenever possible. Reuse the original container.
- Buy in bulk. Using the largest size possible efficiently can reduce the packaging needed.
- Buy non-hazardous or less toxic products in place of toxic ones.
- Buy combination products (i.e. laundry detergent with bleach, shampoo and conditioner combined).
- Use the right product for the job.
- Use all the product. If you have some left, then give it to a neighbor or someone you know who needs it.
Why do we want to stop waste before it is produced?
Reduction cuts back on what we need to throw away. This not only saves money, but landfill space.
Reduction conserves raw materials and energy. Concentrated packaging and smaller packages typically reduces the need for raw materials. Less energy is needed for manufacturing and transportation of the product.
Reduction cuts down on releases to air, land and water. Less fuel is needed to transport a product, therefore there are less emissions from the truck.