The Alamance County Passport Office is a Passport Acceptance Facility that provides information on how to obtain, replace, or renew a passport. We do not make Passport Issuance Decisions or do follow-up. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. Passports.
When applying for a Passport with a DS-11 application form, all applicants must apply in person and both parents must accompany minor children under the age of 16, if both parents names are listed on the birth certificate. One parent may accompany children ages 16-17. (Please read the instructions on the DS-11 application very carefully.)
RENEWALS & NAME CHANGES: Use form DS-82 all instructions are listed on the form. It is not necessary to apply at a Passport Acceptance Facility. Renewal applicants are to mail the DS-82 application, the previous passport book, one new 2x2 passport photo, and the current renewal fee directly to the Passport Agency. More information is located on the DS-82 application for questions regarding expedite service and name changes. If your name has been changed within one year of your newly issued passport book/card than refer to Form DS-5504 (no charge is incurred for a name change within one year of receiving a new passport book/card). More information can be obtained at travel.state.gov.
PASSPORT PROCESSING TIMES: 4-6 weeks processing comittment, but the Passport Agency can get very busy between the months of February - August and can extend the processing times to 6-8 weeks if necessary. Processing times can be found at travel.state.gov or by calling our office.
EXPEDITE SERVICE: (2-3 weeks) is offered also. Please call our office for more information regarding Expedite Fees.
For more information on the following topics please go to: travel.state.gov
- Acceptance Facilities and Locations - Where to Apply For A Passport
- Already Applied for a Passport Book / Card? - Check Your Status Online
- Children and Family Situations (Child Alert Program - Abduction Information)
- How to Apply For A U.S. Passport (more details)
- How to Renew You U.S. Passport (more details)
- Passport card information (traveling only by land and sea)
- Reporting a lost or stolen Passport. (Protect yourself from identity fraud)
- Visa Information
- Where do I get a certified birth certificate? Where to write for vital records.