To obtain a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate (by mail*):
Complete and sign an Application for certified copy of a vital record form (Adobe Acrobat Reader Required).
- Return the completed and signed application, along with the $10 fee (per copy) and a photocopy of your government-issued photo ID to:
Alamance County Register of Deeds
P. O. Box 837
118 West Harden Street
Graham, N.C. 27253
PLEASE NOTE: WE ONLY ACCEPT MONEY ORDERS OR BANK CHECKS AS PAYMENT. WE DO NOT ACCEPT PERSONAL CHECKS AND WE DO NOT RECOMMEND SENDING CASH THROUGH THE MAIL.
*To expedite your request, please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope.
It is also helpful if you include a daytime phone number where you can be reached. This way, if we have a question about your request, we can contact you instead of having to reject your request.
According to North Carolina General Statutes certified copies may only be obtained by the following:
- The applicant
- The applicant's spouse
- The applicant's brother
- The applicant's sister
- The applicant's child/stepchild/grandchild
- The applicant's parent/step parent/grandparent
- A person seeking information for legal determination of personal or property rights
- An authorized agent, attorney, or legal representative of the applicant
THE ALAMANCE COUNTY REGISTER OF DEEDS MAINTAINS BIRTH, DEATH, AND MARRIAGE RECORDS FOR PERSONS WHO WERE BORN, DIED, OR OBTAINED THEIR MARRIAGE LICENSE IN ALAMANCE COUNTY.