Low-Income Energy Assistance (LIEAP)
The Low-Income Energy Assistance program gives families a one-time payment to help pay their heating bills. The funds are paid directly to the heating vendor. Families must meet all of the following:
- Household must meet an income test.
- Household must be responsible for its heating bills.
- Household cannot have resources over $2,200.
- Household must include a U.S. citizen or an eligible alien.
Application will be taken from December 1 through March 31st each year. There must be a household member age 60 or older or disabled to apply for LIEAP in the months of December and January, all other household may apply beginning February 1 of each year. All applications will be processed based on available funding. An elderly or disabled person who wishes to apply may call the county department of social services for assistance or send a representative to Alamance County Social Services to apply for him/her.
Bringing the following items will aid in the process of applications:
- Social Security Card or number and Date of Birth of all household members
- Proof of Residence – (Lease, rent or mortgage receipts, Utility Bill)
- Proof of Income – (SSI, Social Security, Work First, Pensions or Other) (PLEASE BRING PROOF OF INCOME FOR THE MONTH PRIOR TO APPLICATION)
- Bank Accounts – (Recent bank statements and or passbooks, checking or saving, etc.)
- Utility Bills – (Gas, Electric, Phone, Water, and Sewer, etc.)
- Information about your household’s property, stocks, bonds, and other assets.
For more information regarding the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP), please visit our Low Income Energy Assistance Program FAQ page.