State law requires that permits be obtained before beginning these types of projects:
- Construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, movement to another site, removal or demolition of any building
- Installation, extension, alteration or general repair of any plumbing system; heating or cooling equipment system; or any electrical wiring, devices, appliances or equipment
While this law was meant to be all encompassing, some projects do not require permits from the Alamance County Inspections Department.
No Permit Required
- Replacement of non-structural cosmetic building elements such as: floor and wall coverings; moldings and trim; cabinets and casework; roof coverings with the same materials, etc.
- Residential accessory buildings that are no more than 12 feet in any dimension
- Replacement of electrical fixtures and components when work is not done within the wall or ceiling cavity or behind the finished wall or ceiling surface
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures when the work does not go beyond the trap seal
- Installation of low voltage exterior landscape lighting
Unsure whether your project requires a permit? Call the Alamance County Inspections Department at (336) 570-4059 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.