Planning Department Mission & Vision:
We Pledge To:
- Provide professional advice and technical expertise to elected officials, appointed boards and commissions, city departments and citizens to assist in understanding and addressing key community issues and priorities.
- Collaborate across boundaries to encourage the most efficient use of public funds and resources.
- Maintain policies and procedure that commit to enforcing the ordinances enacted by the Board of Commissioners.
- To reflect the highest ethical and professional standards and respect to our customers and the public.
What is Planning?
“Professional planners help create a broad vision for the community. They also research, design, and develop programs; lead public processes; perform technical analyses; manage; and educate. The basic element is the creation of a plan. Planners develop a plan through analysis of data and identification of goals for the community or the project. Planners help the community and its various groups identify their goals and form a particular vision.
Planners are also responsible for the implementation or enforcement of many of the strategies, often coordinating the work of many groups of people. A plan can take a variety of forms including: policy recommendations, community action plans, comprehensive plans, neighborhood plans, regulatory and incentive strategies, or historic preservation plans.
… Other examples of plans include: redevelopment plans, smart growth strategies, economic development strategic plans, site plans, and disaster preparedness plans.”
What Does the Alamance County Planning Department Do?
The Planning Department oversees land development, code enforcement, historic property issues, and community development activities in the unincorporated portions of Alamance County. We provide assistance for various grant programs and special projects across the County as needed. Our department works closely with many other county and municipal departments to ensure compliance with regulations and ordinances applicable in our jurisdiction.
We provide staff support to the Planning Board, Technical Review Committee, Historic Properties Commission and Technical Coordinating Committee.
To find out more about the Planning profession, please visit the American Planning Association page at: https://www.planning.org/aboutplanning/whatisplanning.htm
We administer the following ordinances:
- Subdivision Ordinance (Subdivision Review and Approval)
- Heavy Industrial Development Ordinance (Review and Approval)
- Dead Storage of Manufactured Homes Ordinance
- Manufactured Home Park Ordinance
- Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance
- Watershed Protection Ordinance
- Ordinance Regulating Adult Establishments
- Automobile Graveyards Ordinance
- Abandoned, Junk and Nuisance Motor Vehicles Ordinance
- Wireless Communication Facilities Ordinance
215 N. Graham-Hopedale Rd.
Burlington, NC 27217
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.