History and Formation of AC HOPE
AC HOPE is Alamance County’s coordinated response to the misuse of opioids and other substances. This work began in December of 2017 at the Alamance County Leadership Forum on Opioid Abuse. This forum brought together first responders, public health partners, community advocates, substance use treatment and mental health providers, and County Commissioners. The group reconvened in May of 2018 at Alamance County’s opioid workshop to develop the next steps in addressing the opioid epidemic. Stakeholders discussed prevention and education, harm reduction, treatment, and policy solutions. As a task force, AC HOPE believes that no one is without hope and that there is a complete solution to the misuse of opioids and other substances.
AC HOPE Opioid Community Action Forum
In February 2020, AC HOPE met again for the Opioid Community Action Forum. The purposes of this forum were to:
- Reconvene the community to continue the conversation around how to respond effectively to the public health issue of the misuse of opioids and other substances in Alamance County.
- Increase awareness about both the issues and the many solutions to opioid and substance misuse.
- Support the de-stigmatization of addiction and of people with substance use issues.
- Gather community input on AC HOPE goals, strategies, and overall ways forward.
- Continue to build momentum for this work and engage more people and organizations in being part of the solution to opioid and substance misuse.
WAYS TO BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION:
For those who joined us at the community action forum, look for an e-mail from us soon on our next steps together.
- Join us at our next work group meetings to be part of the solution. Treatment and Recovery Meeting: March 16, 3-4 pm, at the Cardinal Innovations Training Room
- Harm Reduction/Prevention Joint Meeting: March 25th at 3:30 pm, at the Hospice of Alamance-Caswell
If you represent an organization, delegate someone to join a work group. Talk to policymakers, colleagues, and neighbors about the importance of addressing the issues at hand and how to get involved with AC HOPE to create an even more vibrant community together.