Animal Control Information

Animal Intake Sheet
The Animal-Intake-Sheet is available to download. If you have questions about this form, please contact Animal Control at (336) 570 – 6302.

Deceased Animals
If you have issues with deceased animals on the roads, please call NC Department of Transportation at (919) 715-7000 or report the issue on their online form. 

Rabid Animals
If you see an animal that you believe may be rabid, call 911 to report the location of the animal. Do not try to touch or capture the animal.

If you are bitten by any animal:

1. Wash the wound with soap and running water for ten minutes and seek medical attention immediately.
2. Write down the location of the animal and a description of the animal to provide to Animal Control.
3. If the animal is someone’s pet, also get the owner’s name and address. Give this information to Animal Control or the Health Department.

Do NOT try to catch any wild or stray animal.
For more information about human or animal rabies exposure, please visit our Alamance Environmental Health website.

Nuisance Wildlife
Many landowners have a variety of issues with nuisance animals. While they may not be dangerous or cause a significant amount of damage, their presence can be considered a nuisance. If you find that issues persist, the NC Wildlife Commission has some online resources available including: Tips on coexisting with wildlife, Hazards of Feeding Wildlife, and Wildlife Damage Control.

If you find you need professional services, there are Wildlife Damage Control Agents available. Please keep in mind that services offered by WDCA have professional costs involved. 

If you would like to control wildlife damage, information is available from the County’s Cooperative Extension Office at (336) 570-6740 or through the NC Wildlife Resources Commission at (919) 786-4480.

Noisy Dogs
Section C of the ordinance addresses noisy dogs. Dogs are not allowed to bark, whine, howl, or make any other noise for a protracted period so as to result in a serious annoyance or interference with the reasonable use and enjoyment of neighboring premises.

Dangerous Dogs
Section D-2 states that a ‘potentially dangerous dog’ means that the Sheriff has determined a dog has:
• Inflicted a bite on a person either upon public or private real property;
• Killed or inflicted severe injury upon a domestic animal when not on the owner’s real property;
• Approached a person when not on the owner’s property in a vicious or terrorizing manner in an apparent attitude of attack.

For more information about ‘dangerous dogs’ and the procedure of the Sheriff’s Department, please visit the Alamance Animal Control Ordinance.

For questions concerning animal control issues, please call (336) 570-6302.

Reclaiming Lost Animals
If your pet has been picked up by Animal Control, you may claim it at:
Burlington Animal Services
221 Stone Quarry Road
Haw River, NC
(336) 578-0343

Adoption Center Hours:
Monday through Friday: 8am – 5pm
Saturday: 10am – 4pm

Animal Shelter Intake Center
Monday through Friday: 12pm – 5pm
Saturday: 10am – 12pm

For questions concerning animal control issues, please call (336) 570-6302.