Friday, April 3, 2020: The Chief Justice of the State of North Carolina issued an Order extending Judicial Branch measures to minimize the spread of COVID-19. The Chief Justice’s Order can be found here. A summary of that Order can be found here.
In recognition of this effort to limit public and attorneys inside the courthouses, EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 6, 2020 THROUGH MAY 31, 2020, the hours of the Alamance County Clerk’s Office will be reduced to the following:
- At the J.B. Allen Criminal Courthouse, the Clerk’s Office will be open 9AM-1PM, Monday-Friday for inquiry and cashier matters.
- At the Historic Courthouse, the Clerk’s Office will be open 1PM-5PM, Monday-Friday for inquiry and cashier matters.
- Outside of these hours, the Clerk’s Office will be staffed from 8AM to 5PM daily and will be available by phone and email during those times.
If you need assistance with the Alamance County Clerk of Court, please call (336) 570-5200 or email Alamance.Clerk@nccourts.org. We will reply to your emails as soon as possible.
Please check back frequently to this page for continuing updates.
Please do not come to the courthouse if you are exhibiting any flu-like symptoms including fever or if you have had contact with anyone who has been confirmed as having COVID-19. You may call our main number at (336) 570-5200 to speak with someone about your matter over the phone.
Friday, March 13, 2020: The Chief Justice of the State of North Carolina has announced new Judicial Branch measures to minimize the spread of COVID-19. The Chief Justice’s order can be found here.
Local Judicial Officials have worked together in the last few days to facilitate a plan for our local courts, taking into account the recent public health concerns of COVID-19 along with keeping limited access to our courts open and meeting required legal obligations. The Judicial District 15A Administrative Order and Memorandum filed March 16, 2020 may be found here.
Please read below for a detailed list of what will and will not be heard in Court for the next 30 days.
CLERK OF SUPERIOR COURT
- Maintain reduced hours to accept filings, fines or fees, until further notice.
- All newly filed Superior/District Civil Calendar Request must request a court hearing date after April 16, 2020.
- Guardianship Hearings will be conducted as needed, subject to health precautions, including video testimony, as determined by the Clerk of Court.
- Involuntary Commitments will be conducted as needed, subject to health precautions, including video testimony, as determined by the Clerk of Court.
- Estate administration matters will be conducted, although in-person meetings will be subject to health precautions as determined by the Clerk of Court.
- Estate hearings will be postponed for thirty days unless consent by parties to conduct remotely.
- Special Proceedings hearings will be postponed for thirty days unless consent by parties to conduct remotely.
- Will provide new court dates when appropriate.
JURORS SUMMONED FOR JURY DUTY
All jury matters for the next 30 days have been canceled. If you have been summoned for jury duty between the dates of March 15, 2020 and April 16, 2020 you should not report. Please call the number on your jury summons if you have any questions.
MAGISTRATE AND SMALL CLAIMS
- The Alamance County Magistate’s Office will be open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week and normal operations will continue for Warrants for Arrest, Magistrate’s Orders, Criminal Summons, Initial Appearances, Cash Bonds/Property Bonds, Involuntary Commitment Orders, Juvenile Petitions, and Secured and Non-Secured Custody Orders.
- Initial appearances and weddings will be conducted at the Alamance County Magistrates’s Office.
- All new Small Claims court proceedings, including Summary Ejectments and Money Owed and pending matters will be postponed until after April 16, 2020.
- Maintain normal office hours, until further notice. Emails to Sandy Cobb Cassandra.L.Cobb@nccourts.org; and Meredith Giannotti Meredith.S.Giannotti@nccourts.org are the preferred method of contact. Please email both Sandy and Meredith when sending correspondence and copy opposing counsel. The main number for the District Court Judges Office is 336-570-5212, voicemail will be checked. Judges will be available by appointment for matters authorized by statute and to review Ex Parte Motions/Orders.
CIVIL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE COURT
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders (50B) and Civil No Contact Orders (50C) Court will be heard daily for the purpose of hearing ex parte motions and request for ex parte orders.
- Ex Parte Orders will be calendared and heard on Mondays per our current schedule
- DVPOs with no Ex Parte Order, Motions to Show Cause, Motions to Modify or Set Aside, and Motions for Return of Weapons may be continued beyond 30 days.
CIVIL DISTRICT COURT
- District Court Judges will be available daily to hear emeregency and time sensitve ex parte matters including, but not limited to: Motions for TRO, Ex Parte Custody Motions, Civil Commitments and Juvenile Medical Orders.
- Any Emergency Custody case or other emergency matters will be heard by the Judge assigned to said case and said Judge will schedule an appropriate hearing date and time.
- All other civil cases will be rescheduled beyond 30 days.
- All District Court Arbitrations will be scheduled or rescheduled after April 16, 2020.
- Custody Mediation/Orientation will be conducted remotely, contact Terry Horn at Terry.H.Horn@nccourts.org or 336-570-5214 for futher information.
CRIMINAL DISTRICT COURT
- Court will begin at 9:00 AM DAILY.
- The Court will hear:
- Probation Hearings of defendants in custody
- Scheduled cases with in-custody defendants
- Bond Motions
- Probable CAuse Hearing
- At 2:00 PM DAILY the Court will hear:
- Felony First Appearances
- DV First Appearances/Bond Hearings
- All cases that Defendants are not in custody, will be continued prior to their court date
- The Court will not hear the following:
- Motions to Strike Orders for Arrest
- Motions to Set Aside or hear Bond Forfeitures
- Motions to Strike Failure to Appear
- Motions for Appropriate Relief
- Motions to Return Vehicles
- No other add on matters
- Traffic Administrative Court matters will be generally be continued for 8 weeks. The District Attorney’s Office will still conduct traffic court with attorneys remotely.
- Citizens without attorney representation are encouraged to use online payment formats:
The Clerk’s Office and District Attorney’s Office will collaborate to update court dates as soon as possible. Please use the nccourts.gov website to sign up for case updates at: https://www3.nccourts.org/onlineservices/notifications/menu.sp
Juvenile Abuse Neglect & Dependency Court
- Hearings for Motions for Secured and Non-Secured Custody will be heard on Wednesdays as scheduled.
- Juvenile Abuse Neglect & Dependency Court will otherwise be closed, and all hearings not listed above will be rescheduled beyond 30 days.
Juvenile Delinquency Court
- The Court will hear cases where the juvenile is in secured custody; requires a Secured Custody Review, or a first appearance, on Tuesdays as scheduled.
- Juvenile Delinquency Court will otherwise be closed, and all hearings not listed above will be rescheduled beyond 30 days.
Child Support Enforcement and Establishment Court
- The Court will hear Enforcement cases where the defendant is in custody on Fridays as scheduled.
- Child Support Court (IVD) will otherwise be closed and cases not listed above will be rescheduled beyond 30 days.
Maintain normal office hours, until further notice. Emails to Sharon Boger are the preferred method of contact, Sharon.M.Boger@nccourts.org. The main number for Superior Court Judges Office is 336-570-5216, voicemails will be checked. Judges will be available by appointment for matters authorized by statute.
Criminal Superior Court
- Court will begin at its regularly-scheduled times (10:00 a.m. Monday and 9:30 a.m. the rest of the week)
- We will continue to hear:
- In-Custody Probation Hearings
- Taking of pleas for defendants in custody, where feasible as scheduled by the District Attorney after consulation with defense counsel
- First Appearances
- Bond Motions
- Other hearings at the discretion of the Senior Resident Superior Court Judge
- Adminstrative Court Sessions will be continued as follows:
- Cases currently set for the week of March 16, 2020 will be continued to the week of April 27, 2020.
- Cases currently set for the week of April 13, 2020 will be continued to the week of April 20, 2020.
- Vehicle forfeiture matters will be heard as scheduled.
- Grand Jury will be CANCELLED for March 30, 2020.
- Grand Jury will resume on its next scheduled date of April 27, 2020 and Tuesday April 28, 2020.
- Supplemental Grand Jury meetings are at the discretion of the Senior Resident Superior Court Judge.
- All other cases will be rescheduled by the District Attorney’s Office.
Civil Superior Court – ALL MATTERS WILL BE CONTINUED EXCEPT EMERGENCY OR EX PARTE CASES AT THE DISCRETION OF THE SENIOR RESIDENT SUPERIOR COURT JUDGE.