Criminal Division (Criminal Courts Building)
212 W. Elm Street, Graham, NC  27253
phone: (336) 570-5202, fax: (336) 570-5343

Criminal  records are a matter of public record and may be checked by name upon payment of the $25 statutory fee.  The fee may be paid by cash, certified check, money order or credit card. Certified checks and money orders should be made payable to the Alamance County Clerk of Superior Court.  No personal checks of any kind will be accepted.  This service is requested primarily by employers or landlords but can be utilized by any fee-paying member of the public.

The criminal record check you obtain from the Clerk’s Office only searches criminal charges filed in Alamance County North Carolina.  It will not pick up out-of-county, out-of-state, or federal charges.  Various internet sites and other entities can provide this type of search for a fee if so required.

Please be advised of the following:  the criminal records system is designed and maintained by the Administrative Office of the Courts and is name-based only.  The system is not based on any unique, identifiable characteristic such as fingerprints.  This means no guarantee can be made as to actual identity.

For example, if the name to be searched is relatively common (i.e. John Smith), every John Smith charged with a criminal offense in Alamance County will appear in the criminal record check.  It is the responsibility of the checking party to distinguish between the various individuals by verifying dates of birth, addresses, or physical characteristics such as race and gender.

Obtaining a Criminal Record Check

There are two (2) ways to obtain a criminal record check:

1.  In person.  You may visit suite 105 of the Clerk’s office, located on the 1st floor of the Alamance County Criminal Courts Building located at 212 West Elm Street Graham NC 27253.  You must be able to provide the person’s name to be checked and pay the applicable fee.

A Criminal Record Check Request form is available online at the North Carolina Court System home page.  Search form number AOC-CR-314, or click on the following link:   Record Check Request Form

2.  By mail.  You may also mail a written record check request by clearly stating you are requesting a criminal record check.  Please provide the person’s name to be checked, a certified check or money order for the applicable fee, and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Mail your request to:     Clerk of Superior Court
Attn:  Criminal Division – Records
212 West Elm Street
Graham NC,  27253