FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Child Care

(Day Care)

Q. How do I qualify?

A. You may be eligible for child care subsidy services if you meet income requirements AND you are employed, attending school or job training activities, receiving Work First services, or seeking employment. Services are also provided to support child protective services, children with developmental needs, and families in crisis.

Q. Do I pay a fee for the child care?

A. Parents may be required to pay a parental fee based on the family’s gross countable monthly income. Parents will pay 8%, 9%, or 10% of their gross monthly income depending on the family size

Q. Can I choose the child day care provider for my child?

A. Parents may choose from a variety of providers including licensed centers, licensed child care homes, and informal arrangements such as care by a relative. All providers must be willing to participate in the Subsidy Child Care Program to receive subsidy vouchers and have a current contract with the Alamance County Department of Social Services. Payment cannot be made to centers and homes that are unregulated or operating illegally. Anyone interested in becoming a licensed or non-licensed provider can contact Social Services for more information.

Q. How do I apply for Child Day Care assistance?

A.  Parents interested in child day care services may apply in person at the Alamance County Department of Social Services or call (336) 570-6532 for more information.

Q. How do I find a child care facility?

A. There are several resources to help families locate quality child care providers in Alamance County:

NC Division of Child Development-Parents can search the website for child care providers as well as obtain contact information and view detailed reports for each facility or contact them at           1-800-859-0829.


Alamance County Department of Social Services-(336) 570-6532

Ask to speak to a Child Care social worker for more information.

Alamance Partnership for Children-The Partnership can provide information about child care centers, family child care homes, preschools, after school programs, summer camps, and other services. Contact the Partnership at (336) 513-0063 for more information.