Will I continue to receive additional benefits at the end of the month (aka supplements or pandemic benefits)?
  • ANSWER: Currently, these are active and approved on a monthly basis. They will continue throughout the declaration of a Public Health Emergency (PHE). Once the PHE ends, these will end the month following.
What is needed to complete my Recertification? How long does this process take?
  • ANSWER: For a recertification to be accepted, it must be signed with the bottom portion of page 6 completed. Please complete all questions as best as possible.
  • Once the completed Recertification Form is received, your caseworker will let you know any additional items that are need. These can include: Income Verifications, Expenses Verifications, and/or an Interview Request.
  • Processing time frames will be dependent upon the date it was submitted.
    • Timely: If submitted between the 1st and 15th of your recertification month, it will be processed by the last working day of the month unless there are missing required items.
    • Untimely: If submitted between the 16th and the end of the month of your recertification month, there are 30 days given to process from the date of submission unless there are missing required items
    • Late: If submitted the month after the recertification month, the case will be screened for Expedited Services versus Regular Services. If Expedited, the case will be processed within 4 days. If Regular, there are up to 30 days given to processing. These are both unless there are missing required items.
    • Reapply: The latest a recertification can be submitted is the month following the month it was due. If after this month, you would need to reapply if you wish to continue with FNS services.
When do I receive benefits?
  • You receive benefits based on the last digit of your Social Security Number (SSN) as indicated below. If your head of household does not have an SSN, you will receive them on the 3rd of each month.
How long does it take for an application to be processed? How long will it take to receive my card?
  • ANSWER: When an application is received, it is reviewed for expedited processing (aka Emergency Processing) – if eligible, these are processed within 4 days. If not screened as Expedited, the application will be processed in 25 days (if all required verifications are received) or by the 30th day if items are still needed. Cards are ordered after processing and take 7 to 10 business days to arrive (they ship from out of state).
I have recently moved – which county would handle the processing of my recertification?
  • ANSWER: If you have moved away from Alamance County to a new county or if you have moved to Alamance County from another county and have an active FNS case, whichever county receives the Recertification paperwork first would complete and process, as well as transfer to the appropriate county. NOTE: If you have an active or suspended case and have moved you do not have to reapply or close your case unless you fail to complete your recertification.
How do I activate my card? How do I order a new one if it is lost/damaged?
  • ANSWER: Instructions are included in the envelope when your card is shipped to include calling the EBT Customer Services line at 1-888-622-7328 and following the prompts to enter card numbers, you Social Security Number or Date of Birth, and the number you’ve selected as your PIN. You can also call this number to change your PIN or order a new card (as long as your address hasn’t changed – if your address has changed, contact us for assistance).
Can I complete my application or recertification over the phone? Does it have to be in person?
  • ANSWER: Under normal circumstances these cannot be completed over the phone. However, owing to the COVID 19 pandemic we had been able to do these over the phone. This is set to end on 3/31/2022. After this time, we will no longer be able to complete these over the phone but you do not have to complete in-person. You can submit these online (epass.nc.gov), mail/fax in, or complete/drop off at the agency. Recertification’s are mailed out by the state with a large “SR” on the envelope with a pink form enclosed a week prior to your recertification month. Please Note: If you need an interview, this can be completed by phone once the completed application or recertification is received.
How do I report a change? Submit documents/verifications?
  • ANSWER: To report a Change on your case or submit supporting documents, you can complete these digitally on our website at https://www.alamance-nc.com/dss/ and select the appropriate button. You can also report a change by contacting your caseworker by phone, report in-person at the agency, or complete the Change form sent with your approval notice and mail/fax/drop off. Supporting documents continue to also be accepted by mail (319 N Graham Hopedale Rd, Suite C, Burlington NC, 27217)/fax (336-290-8651) or in-person via drop off box or reception.
Why hasn’t my call been returned?
  • ANSWER: When calling in the agency, if your caseworker is not able to answer at that time, please ensure to leave one clear voicemail with your question/concern and identifying information (such as First & Last Name, SSN, Date of Birth, or Case Number) and allow up to 2 business days for a return call. If your call has not been returned in that time frame, you may call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Currently, we are short staffed but remain committed to returning all voicemails in a timely fashion.
Which household expenses can be given for my case? Which cannot be given?
  • ANSWER: While this list is not exhaustive, we can give expense deductions for housing related expenses (Ex: Rent, Lot Rent, Mortgage, Property taxes and insurance for your home, HOA dues), Utilities (Electricity, Natural Gas, Wood, Kerosene, Propane, Telephone, Water, Garbage), Dependent Care, Medical expenses – some restrictions to apply to these. Reach out to your caseworker if you have any questions. Common expenses we cannot count include car related expenses (such as insurance, payments, gas), internet, and renter’s insurance.
What does this letter mean?
  • ANSWER: While a variety of letters are sent from us or the state, here is a list of the most common and what they mean:
    • Notice of Eligibility, Denial, or Pending Status – sent to let you know the outcome of your application or recertification
    • Change Report Form – sent along with Approval Notices, this form does not need to be returned but is sent to provide you a way to report Changes at any time during your certification period and lets you know which changes are required to report.
    • Notice of Adverse Action – sent if your benefits are being lowered or terminated based on reported changes
    • Effect of Change – sent if your benefits are increasing or if no change in benefits based on reported changes
    • Notice to Food and Nutrition Recipients – SSA/SSI/VA Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) – sent for anyone receiving on a case that receives social security or veteran’s administration benefits to relay that the COLA increase was automatically added to your case and no action is needed from you in regards to those changes.
  • Report any changes in mailing and/or residence address!

Our mail is considered government mail and will not forward. While we try to find updated addresses to mail items to, if not updated, you may not receive important mail for your case leading to a stop in benefits.
The EBTEdge app can help you keep track of your transactions and benefit history!

★    Did you know you can buy food based seeds and plants with EBT benefits?
○     See more on what you can and cannot purchase with your EBT benefits here: https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items