Child Protective Services

Child Protective Services is a legally mandated service to families. The agency assesses any reports of abuse, neglect, dependency to children under the age of 18. We respond to reports of abuse within 24 hours and reports of neglect and dependency within 72 hours.Our mission is to guide, assist, protect and respond to children whose families are having issues with child abuse, neglect, or dependency. It is our desire to assist families with respect and dignity to become healthy, successful units. To do this we highlight and build upon the family’s strengths while we work to improve their weaknesses. We know the desire of most parents is to be good caregivers.We provide counseling services with the child’s family to work toward a answer to what is causing the problems of neglect, abuse, dependency, or exploitation and preventing the neglect, abuse, dependency, or exploitation from happening again. Also we arrange services such as foster care, day care, health and mental health services and in home aid services.If a report is substantiated (that is found to be true), the case is assigned to a social worker for follow-up. The social worker attempts to maintain the safety of the child in the home. He/she works with the family to lessen the factors that are causing the problems. In some cases, the level of risk to the child is so high that the child has to be taken from his/her home. Our social workers try to keep the child within his or her family unit if possible.

If you believe a child is being abused or neglected, it is your legal obligation to report it. Please contact us by calling (336) 229-2908 or (336) 570-6532 or by visiting our office located at 319 n. Graham-Hopedale Road, Burlington, NC 27217. Please ask for the Child Protective Service Intake Worker when making a report. Reports may be made during regular business hours Monday-Friday from 8 am – 5 pm. By law your identity and information will be kept private.

If the situation is an emergency, please dial 911.

For non-emergency situation during night, holiday, and weekend reporting may be made through contact with Alamance County Central Communication (336) 570-6777. Reports can also be made by contacting the Burlington Police Department (336) 229-3503 and Graham Police Department (336) 570-6711 and the Alamance County Sheriff’s Office (336) 570-6300. These agencies are always open and willing to contact our on-call worker. Our worker will contact you regarding your repo

For more information or to learn more about Child Abuse/Neglect or Dependency, please visit the following websites:

Prevent Child Abuse
Child Welfare Information Gateway
Child Abuse Prevention Network