Community Alternatives Program (CAP)

The Community Alternatives Program for Disabled Adults (CAP/DA) allows elderly and disabled adults to receive care and services in their home, to keep them from having to go into a nursing home. This program is paid through Medicaid.
Who can receive CAP/DA?

People who:

  • Live in Alamance County
  • Eligible to receive Medicaid
  • Physician’s written authorization that they need nursing home care
  • Chosen to stay at home, rather than enter a nursing home
  • Have their health and safety needs met at home
  • Have family members or friends who also help them

What services can CAP/DA Provide?

  • Screening and Assessment
  • Adult Day Health Care
  • Aids to help the adult move around; for example, grab bars or wheelchair ramps
  • Telephone Alert Lifeline
  • Case Management
  • In-Home Aide Services
  • Respite Care either at home or in a nursing home
  • Meals on Wheels
  • Skilled nursing visits
  • Some medical supplies not covered under Medicaid