Adult Protective Services

Our Adult Protective Services unit evaluates reports of Abuse, Neglect, or Exploitation of disabled adults and provides services necessary to protect them.
The process:

1.       A call comes in on the hotline from someone who is  concerned about an adult in danger

2.       If the report falls within the guidelines of protective services, we see the adult face to face and gather information

3.       We plan and guide the individual, the family or caregiver to identify and improve the problems which cause the abuse, neglect, or exploitation

4.       We report the evidence of mistreatment to the appropriate authorities

5.       We take court action when necessary to protect the adult

6.       We get help on behalf of the disabled adult such as in home services, medical care, etc.

The law requires anyone who believes an elderly individual or disabled adult is being abused, neglected, or exploited and is in need of protective services to report this concern to the Alamance County Department of Social Services.

If you have concerns that a disabled and/or elderly adult is not being cared for properly, being mistreated, or is unsafe, please call our office and make an Adult Protective Services referral.  To report abuse or neglect of an adult, please call our Adult Abuse Hotline at (336) 229-2908 or by visiting our office located at 319. N- Graham-Hopedale Road, Suite C, Burlington, NC 27217.

Night, holiday, and weekend reporting may be made through contact with the Burlington Police Department (336)-229-3503, Graham Police Department (336)-570-6711 or the Alamance County Sheriff’s Office (336)-570-6300.  These agencies are always open and willing to contact our on-call worker.  Our worker will contact you regarding your report.