When adults can no longer make decisions about their medical or mental health care, their money management or their housing needs, guardianship may be necessary.

If the adult has family or friends who can be named legal guardian, Social Services can assist them in taking the legal steps to make this happen.

A judge or clerk of court decides if the adult must determine if the adult is mentally competent or if they need a legal guardian.  If there are no others who can serve as legal guardian when an adult is found to be incompetent, Social Services may be appointed by the courts to serve as Guardian for the adult.