Frequently Asked Questions


How do I contact Alamance County Department of Social Services?

Telephone Number:  336-570-6532
Fax Number:  336-570-6538

Postal Address:  319 N. Graham-Hopedale Rd, Suite C
Burlington, NC 27217

How do I find out if I am qualified for a program?

Eligibility requirements vary for different programs.  In order to determine which programs you may be eligible for, please visit our DSS office and speak with a case worker who specializes in eligibility determination.

What are your hours of operation?

We are open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

What do I need to bring with me when applying for assistance?

Nothing is required for the application; however, some of the following information is often required to process an application:

  •  Social Security card for each family member
  •  Medicare card
  •  Verification of income
  •  Life insurance policies
  •  Health insurance information
  •  Bank statements or bank account numbers
  •  Proof of any other assets you own (ex. vehicles)
  •  Check stubs for the past two (2) months
  •  Birth Certificates for all children in the home
  •  Verification of address
  •  Verification of ownership of home (if applicable)
Q.  How do I apply for benefits?
  Applications for most benefits and services are taken at our agency Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.  Call the agency at 336-570-6532 for further assistance if you are unable to come to the agency.

Q.  When is the best time to come in to apply?
  Applications for programs are taken on a “first come, first served” basis.  The agency opens at 8:00 a.m.   It is usually best to arrive as early as possible.  The agency accepts applications for most programs anytime but it is best to arrive by 4:00 p.m. if possible, in order to complete the application.  The agency does not close for lunch but there is sometimes a longer wait during lunch hours since there is fewer staff available to take applications.

Q.  Do I need an appointment?
  You do not need an appointment to make an application.  Applications are accepted on a “first come, first served” basis.  If you are already receiving benefits/services and would like to see your worker, it is best to contact your case worker first to make sure they will be available.

Q.  Can I make an appointment to make an application?
  Applications are taken on a “first come, first served” basis.  If you need special arrangements please call the agency at 336-570-6532 for further assistance.

Q. How do my resources affect my eligibility?
   Resources are considered when determining eligibility for most programs. Examples of resources include your bank account, automobiles, and any other assets you may own. Please be aware that resources may be affected by the number of people in your household.

Q.  What programs are available for working parents who do not qualify for Medicaid and who cannot afford health insurance for their children?
  Health Check and Health Choice are state programs run by NC Division of Medical Assistance geared toward helping working parents provide health insurance for their children at either low or no cost.

Q.  Are Social Services and Social Security the same agency?
  No.  Social Services is a county agency that administers Medicaid, various income maintenance programs,  and social work programs.  Social Security is a federal agency administering disability, SSI and benefits.  Social Security’s toll free number is 1-800-772-1213.

Q.  Are Medicare and Medicaid the same program?
  No.  Medicare is a health insurance program for all citizens over age 65 without regard to income.  You may contact Social Security via telephone- 1-800-772-1213.  Medicaid is a health insurance program for low-income children and adults.  You may apply for Medicaid benefits at your local Social Services Office.

Q. What are Food Stamps (Food and Nutrition Services) and am I eligible?
  Food Assistance/Food and Nutrition Services (Food Stamps) assists low-income families in paying for food. They are issued using an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. EBT cards work like debit cards. Benefits are placed on the card on a monthly basis. In order to be eligible for food assistance, persons between 18 and 50 years old must be working at least 20 hours per week, in a work program for at least 20 hours per week or participating in a workfare or approved Employment and Training program.

Q.  What are the income guidelines for Medicaid?
  Income requirements vary for different programs. In order to determine which programs you may be eligible for, please visit our office or call (336) 570-6532, and speak with a case worker who specializes in eligibility determination.

Q.  What does NC Health Choice Cover?
  NC Health Choices covers some of the following:

  •  Checkups at a doctor’s office or clinic
  •  Health care when your child is sick.
  •  Checkups and treatment at the dentist
  •  All the shots your child needs to start school or day care
  •  Treatment for health problems that could affect your child’s life or how he learns at school
  •  Tests to discover any health problems early before they become worse.

Q.  How do I report abuse or neglect?
  If you believe a child or an adult is being abused or neglected, it is your legal obligation to report it. Call us at (336)-229-2908 or (336) 570-6532 and ask for the Child Protective Services “Intake Worker” to make a report. By law, your identity will be kept confidential.  Reports can be made orally, in writing, or in person during regular business hours Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.  Our office is located at 319 N. Graham-Hopedale Road, Suite C, Burlington, NC 27217.

After hours, and on weekends and holidays, please contact Central Communications (336-570-6777) or local law enforcement.  If the situation is an emergency, please call 911.

Q.  Are interpreter services available?
  Free interpreter services are available for anyone who speaks little or no English.  Come to the agency and arrangements will be made for free interpreter services.

Q.  I haven’t received my Medicaid card – what do I do?
  You should receive your Medicaid card by the fifth working day of the month. Please contact your caseworker or call the agency at 336-570-6532 if you do not receive your card.  We do not consider Medicaid card late until the 15th day of each month.  Your card may have been sent back to the agency if your address has changed.  Medicaid cards are not forwarded.  Always notify your caseworker if you have a change of address.

Q. What is the Raleigh number for Social Services information?
 Voice/Espanol (North Carolina Only): 1-800-662-7030 (The CARE-LINE)

TTY Dedicated – Local and Toll Free: 919-733-4851 or 1-877-452-2514
For Out of State Calls: 919-733-4261
FAX: 919-715-8174
Postal address: 2012 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-2012
Email: care.line[at]ncmail[dot]net

Q.  Does DSS help with housing?
  No.  Housing assistance is handled through the Graham Housing Authority or Burlington Housing Authority.

Q.  Can Medicaid and Work First be transferred between counties?
  Medicaid can be transferred between counties, but not state to state. To transfer to another county, you must contact your case manager with the new county you are relocating to. Your case manager will then mail your record to that county.  Work First cannot be transferred between counties or states.  You must apply for Work First in the new county  you are relocating to.

Q.  Can Food Stamps be transferred between counties?
  No, Food Stamps cannot be transferred. When you move to another county, you will have to apply for Food Stamps in that county.