Child Protective Services

Child Protective Services strives to ensure safety, permanence and nurturing families for children by protecting them from abuse, neglect and dependency while attempting to preserve the family unit.

Child Protective Services help prevent further harm to children from intentional physical or mental injury, sexual abuse, exploitation or neglect by a person responsible for a child’s health or welfare.

Child Protective Services also help protect children who have no parent, guardian or custodian to provide care and supervision or whose parent, guardian or custodian is unable to provide for the care or supervision and lacks an appropriate alternative child care arrangement.

Social Services staff accomplishes all these services through:

  • Assessing suspected cases of abuse, neglect and dependency
  • Assisting the family in diagnosing the problem
  • Providing in-home supportive services to help children stay at home with their families
  • Coordinating community and agency services for the family
  • Petitioning the court for removal of the child, if necessary
  • Providing public information about child abuse, nelgect and dependency

If you believe a child is being abused or neglected, it is your legal obligation to report it. Please contact us by calling (336) 229-2908 or (336) 570-6532 or by visiting our office located at 319 n. Graham-Hopedale Road, Burlington, NC 27217. Please ask for the Child Protective Service Intake Worker when making a report. Reports may be made during regular business hours Monday-Friday from 8 am – 5 pm.  After 5pm and or on weekends: Alamance County (336) xxx-xxxx and ask to speak with the CPS Social Worker on call. By law your identity and information will be kept private.

For non-emergency situation during night, holiday, and weekend reporting may be made through contact with Alamance County Central Communication (336) 570-6777. Reports can also be made by contacting the Burlington Police Department (336) 229-3503 and Graham Police Department (336) 570-6711 and the Alamance County Sheriff’s Office (336) 570-6300. These agencies are always open and willing to contact our on-call worker. Our worker will contact you regarding your report.

If the situation is an emergency, please dial 911.

For more information or to learn more about Child Abuse/Neglect or Dependency, please visit the following websites:

Prevent Child Abuse
Child Welfare Information Gateway
Child Abuse Prevention Network