Food and Nutrition Services (Food Stamps)

Food and Nutrition Services is a federal food assistance program that provides low-income families the food they need for a nutritionally adequate diet. Benefits are issued via Electronic Benefit Transfer cards (EBT cards).


1. Income

You may be eligible for Food and Nutrition Services if your total income falls below the appropriate gross income limits for your household size. Eligibility workers determine which income limit applies to your household.

Food and Nutrition

2. Household Composition

Some individuals must participate in Food and Nutrition Services as one household even though they purchase and prepare their meals separately.

Individuals who must participate as one household include:

  • Individuals living together who purchase/prepare their food together
  • Spouses living together or individuals representing themselves as a married couple
  • Individuals under 22 living with a parent
  • Individuals under 18 under the parental control of an adult living in the home
  • Two unmarried adults living in the same home who are parents of a mutual child

3. Citizenship/Immigration Status

All individuals receiving Food and Nutrition benefits must be US Citizens or immigrants admitted to the United States under a specific immigration status.

4. Resources

Some households may be subject to a resource test.

  • Households may have $2,250 in countable resources
  • Households may have $3,250 if at least one person is age 60 or older or disabled
  • Certain resources are not counted, such as homes, buildings and land

If you have questions regarding your food stamp case, please contact the call center at (336) 570-4096 or 570-4097. If you received a voicemail from us about your case, please leave a message with your information so that we can process your needed change quickly and get benefits to you as soon as possible. If you do not receive a call back, we likely have all that we need to process the change.  You can also submit questions to DSS by emailing


For more information regarding Food Stamps please visit the following websites:
NC Division of Social Services-Food Stamps
United States Department of Agriculture–Food and Nutrition Service