Alamance County Program Fact Sheet

Your Interviewer Can Explain These Programs In More Detail.


Work First is about assisting families in achieving self-sufficiency to support themselves and provide for their children. Work First promotes personal responsibility and employment.

So that families can achieve their self-sufficiency goals, Work First provides employment services, other supportive services, child support services, Medicaid, and a monthly check to families with children under age 18 or age 18 but expected to graduate on or before their 19th birthday. A family must meet income and resource rules.


Benefit Diversion is an alternative to Work First Family Assistance for families. A family who chooses Benefit Diversion is provided:

  • a one-time cash payment of up to three months of Work First Family Assistance benefits (cash payments stop after this one check),
  • up to three months of Medicaid,
  • child care if needed, and
  • child support services and referrals to other community and agency services.

Benefit Diversion is for families with a temporary situation associated with employment or other sources of financial stability. The situation may:

  • be related to maintaining or accepting employment,
  • have occurred during a short break between jobs, or
  • be related to receipt of other income that will meet the family’s needs (such as SSI, child support, insurance settlement, etc.).


Work First Employment Services provides intensive case management with families to identify barriers and provide supportive services to overcome these barriers and achieve self-sufficiency. Families participating in the program must meet the following requirements:

  • Sign a Mutual Responsibility Agreement (MRA).
  • Recipients of cash assistance are expected to participate in work-related activities at least 35 hours per week.
  • Participants in educational programs are required to participate in work-related activities at least 20 hours per week.
  • Sanctions are imposed on Work First cash benefits if any of these requirements are not met.
  • After receiving 24 months of Work First cash assistance, North Carolina recipients are not eligible to receive Work First cash assistance for 36 months.
  • The federal government states that no one in the United States can receive cash assistance for more than five years in a lifetime.

Supportive services provided are:

  • transportation assistance
  • child care assistance
  • car repair assistance
  • purchase of uniforms or job-related items
  • Steps to Self-Sufficiency classes


The child care program is a state and federally funded program that provides subsidized child care services to eligible families. This program helps parents pay for child care so they can work or attend school and provides information to parents about how to choose a safe, quality child care arrangement. Benefits to families include:

  • helping parents work and attend school,
  • providing a safe setting for children,
  • helping children be better prepared for school, and
  • having a good early childhood education experience helps children to be successful in language, math, and social skills in school.


There are two parts of Emergency Assistance – Cash and Services.

  • The Cash part pays up to $300 once every two years (effective 5/1/99) to help families in an emergency pay overdue bills such as rent and utilities to include payments to prevent the immediate danger of eviction or foreclosure.
  • The Services part provides child protective services, counseling, treatment, family preservation, and other services.


The Food and Nutrition Services help low-income families or individuals buy food. Families must meet income, resource, citizenship, and work rules. If you buy and cook your food separately from others living with you, you may be able to apply as a separate household. Eligible households receive an EBT card to purchase food every month.

How Do I Know If My Family Qualifies?

Income: Food Stamps are available for families who meet the income guidelines set by the federal government.

How Much Can I Earn?

Food Stamp Unit Size Gross Monthly Income Net Monthly Income
1 $1,107 $851
2 $1,484 $1,141
3 $1,861 $1,431
4 $2,238 $1,721
5 $2,615 $2,011
6 $2,992 $2,301
7 $3,369 $2,591
8 $3,746 $2,881
Each additional member (+) $377 (+) $290

Resources: Households may be eligible if they have less than $2,000 in assets, or $3,000 for households with person 60 years or older.

If you own a home, its value is not counted as an asset.

What Documents Do I Need To Bring With Me When I Apply?

Identification: This includes birth certificates, driver’s licenses, or other proof of identity.
Social Security Number: You will need all Social Security numbers for all household members.
Proof of Income: Pay stubs showing income for the prior month a written statement from your employer showing earnings. If you are receiving Child Support or alimony payments, bring proof of them. If you are receiving worker’s comp or unemployment benefits, you must bring proof.
Rent or Mortgage: Mortgage statements if you own, rent receipts if you rent, or lease agreement if you lease.
Utility Bills: Gas, electric, heating, and phone bills.
Bank Statements: You will need proof of bank accounts. These include checking, savings, credit unions, bonds, and CD’s.
Medical Expenses: These are needed if you or someone in the household is over 60 years old or disabled.
Other: Alien registration card or proof of immigrant status, child care expenses, SSI award letter, rental income.

For more information regarding our Food and Nutrition Services, please call 336-229-2935. Press Option #1.


The Department of Social Services now offers a program in Food and Nutrition Services called SNAP. SNAP stands for SIMPLIFIED NUTRITIONAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM. To qualify for SNAP, you and any household members for whom you are applying must be 65 years or older and receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI). You can have other income, but you must be receiving at least $1.00 of SSI each month for the SNAP Program. If you are eligible, you will receive monthly food stamps and an EBT Card. Your case will be automatically certified for a three-year period.


This program provides assistance for persons living in adult care homes (rest homes) who are in financial need and who are:

  • age 65 or older; or
  • between ages 18 and 65 and are disabled or blind.

There are income and resource limits. If you qualify for SA, you will get a monthly check to help pay for your cost of care and a Medicaid card. The adult care home will also receive a payment from the Medicaid Program to cover one hour of personal care services per day for you.


This program helps families or individuals with medical bills such as doctor bills, prescription drugs, hospital charges, and nursing home care.

Persons who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Work First Family Assistance, or State/County Special Assistance (SA) also receive Medicaid. SSI recipients do not have to apply at the county department of social services to get Medicaid.

Other persons can also get Medicaid. There are several different types of Medicaid. All have income limits and some have resource limits. Your caseworker will explain these to you.

People who are:

  • Aged adults (65 and older)
  • Disabled or blind persons
  • Persons who receive Medicare may qualify for Medicare Aid (M-QB). Individuals with income up to 100% of the poverty level can receive payment of Medicare premiums, co-payments, and deductibles. Individuals can receive payment of the Part B Medicare premium only if their income is between 100% and 120% of the poverty level.
  • Families with children through age 20. The parent can receive Medicaid if only one parent is in the home and the child is under age 19. Both parents can receive Medicaid if both are in the home but one parent is out of work or has an illness or injury.
  • Children through age 20 who live with both parents or other adults.
  • Individuals through age 20 who live apart from their parents or other adults.
  • Children under age one year whose parents’ income is equal to or less than 185% of the poverty level. This limit is higher than for older children. There is no resource limit.
  • Children from ages one through five years whose parents’ income is equal to or less than 133% of the poverty level. This level is higher than for children ages six and older. There is no resource limit.
  • Children from ages 6 through 18 years whose parents’ income is equal to or less than 100% of the poverty level. There is no resource limit.
  • Pregnant women with or without other children. The income limit is 185% of the poverty level. There is no resource limit.
  • Family Planning Waiver Services to women ages 19 through 55 years and men ages 19 through 60 years with incomes at or below 185% of the federal poverty level. Individuals must be found ineligible for all other Medicaid programs and Medicare. There is no resource limit.

may be eligible to receive Medicaid.

Persons who are eligible will receive a Medicaid card each month. Medicaid can also cover medical bills from the three months before the month you apply.


This program is for households in a heating or cooling-related emergency whose income is less than 150% of the poverty level. Eligible households get up to $600.00 to buy fuel or to pay the light bill or gas bill. Alamance Community Services is contracted to take and process these applications.


This program pays a check once a year to eligible low-income households to help with their heating bills. Applications are taken during the following time period: December 1 – January 31 of each year for those househoulds that are age 60 or older or disabled and receiving services through the Department of Aging and Adult Services. Checks will be sent directly to the energy provider.


North Carolina Health Choice is a health insurance program for children ages 6 through 18 years. Children must be uninsured and not covered under any comprehensive health plan. Children must be ineligible for Medicaid or any other federal government sponsored health insurance.


The goal of the Child Support Enforcement Program is to ensure that children receive financial support from parents. The Alamance County Child Support Enforcement Agency is located at 201 West Elm Street in Graham, NC.

NC Child Support Enforcement offers assistance in the areas of:

  • location of absent parent,
  • paternity establishment for children born outside of marriage,
  • establishment of support obligations,
  • collection and distribution of support, and
  • enforcement of support obligations.

Services are available to anyone who is responsible for a child regardless of income. Families who receive Work First Assistance are automatically referred to the Child Support Agency. If you do not receive public assistance, you may apply for services at the local Child Support office by completing an application and paying an application fee or by requesting an application be mailed to you by calling 1-800-992-9457.

More information is available regarding child support from the following sources:

Phone: Customer Service Center 1-800-992-9457 or 336-570-6570


Please visit our Child Support webpage by clicking here.

Agency policy prohibits discrimination based on race, gender, color, creed, national origin, age, handicap or disability.

Free interpreter service is provided to any limited-English speaking individual.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in the following pages was considered correct at the time of publication. Alamance County Department of Social Services and North Carolina Division of Social Services reserves the right to make changes at any time and without notice, and assumes no liability for damages incurred directly or indirectly as a result of errors, omissions, or discrepancies.