You may register to vote in Alamance County if you are:
- A citizen of the United States
- A person 18 years of age or older
- A person 17 years of age who will be 18 by the date of the general election
- A legal resident of Alamance County and North Carolina for 30 days before the date of the next election
- A person convicted of a felony whose citizenship rights have been restored
College students registering in Alamance County:
College students can register and vote in the jurisdiction of their residence. A registered voter may only have one residence. If the college student considers his or her school address to be his or her residence, the college student may register and vote in the county where the school is located.
- Your residential address is required and is your Dorm or Apt name and number
- Your mailing address is your Campus Box Number, Elon, NC 27244 and cannot be used as your residential address
Alamance County has a permanent registration program. You need to register ONLY if you:
- Have not previously registered in Alamance County
- Have had your Alamance County registration cancelled because you registered in another county or state
- Have had your voter registration cancelled because you were convicted of a felony and your citizenship rights have now been restored
You need to update your registration if you:
- Have moved within Alamance County since you registered
- Have changed your name
- Wish to change your party affiliation
- A voter registration card will be mailed to you once your registration application/update form has been processed. Keep the card. It tells you the location of your voting place and the districts in which you reside. You may use the card to change your address, if you move within Alamance County, or to change your name or party affiliation. If you move out of Alamance County, you may use your card to cancel your registration.
- The cards are mailed weekly. Registration may be placed in an inactive status if a voter card is returned by the Postal Service as undeliverable.
When you register, you will be asked to declare your party affiliation. You may register with any recognized party in the State of North Carolina.
Party affiliation determines the primary in which a voter is eligible to vote. You may also register unaffiliated. During a partisan primary election, an unaffiliated voter may vote only in a party primary that authorizes unaffiliated voters. Voters will be asked at the polling place to declare the party in which they would like to vote for the primary election. If there is a second primary for this election the voter must vote the party declared in the first primary. If no party authorizes unaffiliated voters, they may only vote in non-partisan races and bond issues in the primaries.
You may register to vote or make changes at the following locations in Alamance County:
- Board of Elections, 115 South Maple Street, Graham, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- At any of Alamance County’s Public Libraries during regular hours
- Drivers License Examiners Office while there on official business
- Various Agencies-Social Services, Agencies dealing with people with disabilities, Employment Securities Commission and Armed Forces Recruitment Offices
- By Mail. Call the Elections Office at 336-570-6755 for locations of forms