The Alamance County Passport Office is a Passport Acceptance Facility that provides information on how to obtain, replace, or renew a passport. We do not make Passport Issuance Decisions or do follow-up. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. Passports.

When applying for a Passport with a DS-11 application form, all applicants must apply in person and both parents must accompany minor children under the age of 16 (if both parents’ names are listed on the birth certificate). One parent may accompany children ages 16-17. (Please read the instructions on the DS-11 application very carefully before you apply for a passport.)

WHEN APPLYING FOR A PASSPORT WITH A DS-11 FORM, have all the following information ready when you arrive at the passport office for your appointment:

  • DS-11 APPLICATION FORM (Fill out completely in black ink only & do not sign until asked to do so.
  • PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP (Not damaged, or altered, see instructions on DS-11

U.S. Birth Certificates must meet all the following criteria:
– Show the full name of the parent(s)
– Be issued by the office of vital statistics of state, county, or city where the birth occurred
– Show the full name of the child at birth
– Indicate the date and place of birth
– Bear the embossed, impressed, multi-colored or raised seal and signature of the issuing authority
– Indicate a registration or file date that is within one year of the birth and
– Be an original and certified document (notarized copies and photocopies are not acceptable)

  • VALID PHOTO IDENTIFICATION (out-of-state applicants must bring in a second ID)
  • ID PHOTO COPY:  As instructions request, please photocopy the front and back of the ID you use on white 8 ½ x 11 paper (not double-sided).
  • (1) RECENT PASSPORT PHOTO (Photos could be rejected, if they do not meet Federal Photo Regulations.  This could cause a delay in processing your passport application.)
  • APPLICATION FEE:  Please note that the Alamance County Passport Office cannot take debit or credit cards nor all cash.  The fees are split in two payments – (Refer to “FEES” on this Site or for more information.

RENEWALS & NAME CHANGES: Use form DS-82 and complete the checklist on the form to determine your eligibility. It is not necessary to apply at a Passport Acceptance Facility, instead, all eligible “adult renewal applicants” are to mail the DS-82 application, the previous 10 year passport book, one new 2×2 passport photo, and the current renewal fee, directly to the Passport Agency. Information about expedite service and name changes are included on the
DS-82 application.  All passport renewal information, including fees, can be obtained at or by calling 1-877-487-2778.

Please Note:  If the name you are currently using differs from the name on your most recent passport, you must submit a certified marriage certificate or court order showing the change of name with the DS-82.  But, for a name change within one year of receiving your new passport book or card, than refer to Form DS-5504 (no charge is incurred for a name change within one year of receiving a new passport book/card).

PASSPORT PROCESSING TIMES: Processing times can be found at or by calling 1-877-487-2778.


  1. Regular Service Commitment:      up to 18 weeks
  2. Expedite Service Commitment:      up to 12 weekseks 

Applicants using a DS-11 Form, please call our office for more information regarding “Expedite Fees”, because the fees need to be split into two separate payments.

Applicants using a Renewal Form DS-82, please call 1-877-487-2778 or see for more information regarding Expedite Fees.  Please note you must mail the application to the “Expedite Mailing Address” located on the DS-82 form, with the word EXPEDITE on the outside of the envelope.  It is highly recommended expedite applications be sent to the Passport Agency by “Express overnight Mail”.  Explanations for mailing DS-82’s are located on the form.


  • Acceptance Facilities and Locations – Where to Apply For A Passport (All Acceptance Facilities can be located at, see “First Time Applicants”)
  • Already Applied for a Passport Book / Card? – Check Your Status Online
  • Children and Family Situations (Child Alert Program – Abduction Information)
  • How to Apply For A U.S. Passport (more details)
  • How to Renew You U.S. Passport (more details)
  • Passport card information (traveling only by land and sea)
  • Reporting a lost or stolen Passport. (Protect yourself from identity fraud)
  • Visa Information
  • Where do I get a certified birth certificate? Where to write for vital records