The staff at Alamance Parks would like to wish you a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year! Thank you to everyone who visited our parks and trails this year, supported the department and Haw River Trail, came out to our events, and helped make our facilities a great place to visit.
We hope that you will bring your families out to enjoy the parks and trails over the holiday break. Cedarock Park, Shallow Ford Natural Area, Great Bend Park, and the Haw River Trail Paddle Accesses are open every day except Christmas. Come enjoy looking for the painted snowmen as a Holiday Hike at Cedarock Park, Shallow Ford Natural Area, or Great Bend Park. Snap a selfie with the snowman and post it to our Facebook pages for a chance to win a prize (www.facebook.com/cedarockpark and www.facebook.com/hawrivertrail).
It’s cold out, but don’t let that keep you cooped up inside- winter is a great time to get outdoors, even when there isn’t snow! Here are a few fun ideas for a winter visit to the parks or just getting outdoors at home over the holidays (remember to dress warmly and use good sense in the cold):
- Enjoy a hike with your family…bring the family dog
- Bring along binoculars and a bird guide…winter is one of the best times for bird watching…the leaves are off the trees and songs carry well in the forest
- Keep an eye out for animal tracks on the trails, especially near the creeks and river
- Collect interesting sticks, leaves, and other natural items and make a nature collage with your kids
- Make a natural bird feeder out of pine cones, peanut butter, and bird seed
- Pack a wintry picnic…bring warm blankets and a thermos of hot soup or hot chocolate to enjoy together in the chilly air
- Take a walk in your neighborhood to admire the holiday decorations
- Enjoy a campfire for toasting marshmallows or making s’mores