Welcome to Activity Note!
Do you have the motivation to stay active but just can’t think of the right activities to do? Join us for Activity Note, our new “get out and do something” program! We will post two activities each week that will get you and your family out the door doing something active in nature. We’ll introduce you to trails all over the county, help identify plants, birds, and other creatures and help you live a more active lifestyle. Stay tuned!
We want to see your progress! Tag #alamanceparks and #alamanceactivitynote on social media to update us on your activities and awesome nature discoveries.
Week 1 (May 11-15):
- Pack a picnic & enjoy lunch at the park
- Hike at Great Bend Park
Week 2 (May 18-22):
- Visit the Textile Heritage Museum at Glencoe
- Read your favorite book while listening to the rain
Week 3 (May 25-29):
- Grab your jacket & go for a quiet hike in the rain
- Find & identify a bird around your home
Week 4 (June 1-5):
- Visit the waterfall at Cedarock Park
- Hike around Saxapahaw Island River Park
Week 5 (June 8-12):
- Walk along the Haw River at Swepsonville River Park and look for river otters.
- Grab a book from your must-read list and enjoy reading by the river.
Week 6 (June 15-19):
- During a break in the rain, go outside and identify bugs and insects you find (try checking under rocks!).
- Make your own rain gauge (help provided here).
Week 7 (June 22-26):
- Challenge your kids to build their own campsite at Shallow Ford Natural Area using items around them.
- Do a Stroller Strides workout at Cedarock Park. (Find the Stroller Strides workouts here.)
Week 8 (June 29 – July 3):
- Make your own hygrometer to measure the humidity in your home (use this guide).
- Hike the Highland Trail at Great Bend Park with one of our Tree ID guides and see if you can spot all 12. (Tree ID guides are available at the trailhead, or download one here).
Week 9 (July 6-10):
- Visit Guilford-Mackintosh Park and Marina and hike or bike along one of their trails.
- Rent a kayak at Guilford-Mackintosh Park and Marina and enjoy the open water on a hot day! (Be sure to read their rental guidelines)
Week 10 (July 13-17):
- Use these instructions to make your own fishing lure and head to Cedarock Park and try it out at the pond. Be sure to post pictures with all of your catches!
- Visit Zack’s Hotdogs in Burlington and grab a hot dog to celebrate National Hot Dog day! Check their website for COVID-19 restrictions.
Week 11 (July 20-24):
- Celebrate National Moon Day by creating the phases of the moon with this link.
- Visit the Glencoe Mill Village and take a walk through local history.
Week 12 (July 27-31):
- Find the Mountain Laurel along the Hidden Hill Trail at Shallow Ford Natural Area.
- Find signs of residence on the Homestead Trail at Shallow Ford Natural Area.
Week 13 (Aug 3-7):
- Visit Pleasant Grove Community Center and walk or run some laps around the gravel track.
- Dust off your discs and try the NEW Pleasant Grove Disc Golf Course.