September 6, 2016: Effective October 1, 2016, the fee for recording deeds of trust or mortgages will be $64.00 for the first 35 pages plus $4 for each additional page. The new law can be viewed here.
Per NC General Statute 153A-94(b), beginning August 5, 2013, the cut-off time for recording documents will be 4:30 pm.
As of November 2015, the Alamance County Register of Deeds office is offering E-Recording of all documents, except UCC’S and Plats. You may contact: Simplifle at (801) 223-1046, CSC at (866) 652-0111.
Recording standards effective July 1, 2002: (NC G.S. 161-14)
- All instruments executed on or after July 1, 2002, shall meet the following requirements:
- Be presented on 8 1/2 x 11 inch or 8 1/2 x 14 inch paper.
- Alamance County excepts Mylar’s, and size is 18 x 24.
- Have a 3 inch blank margin at the top of the first page and a 1/2 inch margin on the remaining sides of the first page and on all sides of subsequent pages.
- Be typed or printed in black on white paper in a legible font that is not smaller than 9 points in size. Blanks in an instrument may be completed in pen and corrections to an instrument may be made in pen.
- Have text typed or printed on one side of a page only.
- State the type of instrument at the top of the first page. (below the margin)
If an instrument does not meet these requirements, the register of deeds shall record the document after collecting the Non-standard document fee of $25.00 along with the Recording fee. If the instrument is non-standard due to the font size being smaller than 10 points, the register of deeds has the discretion to consider it legible and waive the non-standard fee
Deeds recorded after May 2, 2011 must meet GS 161-31(b), as follows:
All deeds (exception of Timber & Release) must go before the Alamance Co. Tax Department for delinquent tax certification before recording.
Alamance County Tax Office
Attn: Aimee Perkins
124 W. Elm Street
Graham, NC 27253
TO FACILITATE THE RETURN OF RECORDED DOCUMENTS, PLEASE INCLUDE AN APPROPRIATELY SIZED SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE.