To obtain a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate (by mail):
- Complete and sign an Application For Copy of Vital Records (Adobe Acrobat Reader Required).
- Return the completed and signed application, along with the $10 fee (per copy) and a photocopy of your government-issued photo ID to:Alamance County Register of Deeds
P. O. Box 837
118 West Harden Street
Graham, N.C. 27253
PLEASE NOTE: WE ONLY ACCEPT MONEY ORDERS OR BANK CHECKS VIA MAIL.
Please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope.
It is also helpful if you include a daytime phone number.
According to North Carolina General Statutes certified copies may only be obtained by the following:
- The applicant
- The applicant’s spouse
- The applicant’s brother
- The applicant’s sister
- The applicant’s child/stepchild/grandchild
- The applicant’s parent/step parent/grandparent
- A person seeking information for legal determination of personal or property rights (Proof Required)
- An authorized agent, attorney, or legal representative of the applicant (Proof Required)
Online requests: Click here (https://alamancerod.permitium.com) and follow the instructions to submit and pay for a Vital Record request online. Fees for certified copies are $10.00 each and uncertified copies are $1.00 each. You pay by major credit/debit cards online. (Additional fee is charged if paying by credit card).
Clicking on the above link takes you away from the County’s website. Issues and problems with this site need to be brought to the attention of the Register of Deeds.
THE ALAMANCE COUNTY REGISTER OF DEEDS MAINTAINS BIRTH, DEATH, AND MARRIAGE RECORDS FOR PERSONS WHO WERE BORN, DIED, OR OBTAINED THEIR MARRIAGE LICENSE IN ALAMANCE COUNTY.
Certified copies for Death Certificates from funeral homes: Effective November 15, 2017, If you are requesting more than FIVE DIFFERENT DEATH CERTIFICATES at one time-the funeral home must be in the office by 3:30pm for same day pick-up. If not in the office before 3:30pm, these requests will be filed and ready the following business day.