Determine office sought and prepare filing fee
Visit our ‘Municipal Offices 2021’ page to identify which office you wish to run for, noting the associated filing fee which will have to be paid in cash upon filing with the office.
You must be eligible to vote in the Municipality in which you plan to run for office.
Fill out your Notice of Candidacy
The 2021 Municipal Notice of Candidacy will be filled out in person at the ACBOE office; 115 S. Maple St. in Graham, NC.
Requirements for ‘Name on Ballot’ field, pursuant to N.C.G.S 163-294.2:
- Name may be first and last, middle and last, or first, middle, and last
- First and/or middle name may be abbreviated, but not last name
- Allowed suffixes:
- I/II/III or other numbered hereditary names
- Allowed titles:
- All other suffixes and titles are prohibited, including but not limited to:
- MD/PhD and all other doctorate or certification suffixes
- Dr./Hon./Judge and all other honorific titles
- General/Col. and all other military titles
- A nickname, either in place of a first or middle name or following said name in parentheses, is permitted with the completion of the ‘Nickname Affidavit’ section of the Notice of Candidacy form with the following restrictions:
- The nickname cannot be nonsense (e.g. ‘Da Bomb’ or ‘Votes Go Here’)
- The nickname cannot indicate any rank, status, or position such as ‘Judge’ or ‘Doctor’
Felony Conviction Considerations
Pursuant to N.C.G.S 163-106(e), applicable to Municipal Elections under N.C.G.S 163-295, if you have ever been convicted of a felony anywhere in the United States you are required to disclose this in the appropriate section on the Notice of Candidacy form, and must fill out the Felony Disclosure Form to be submitted with your filing fee and notice of candidacy. Failure to disclose any felony convictions will disqualify you from candidacy.
Bring your cash filing fee with you to the office during Candidate Filing
The filing fee should be brought in person to the Alamance County Board of Elections office on 115 S Maple St. in Graham, NC during the candidate filing period.
Note: In Alamance County, the volume of Municipal candidates filed is such that it is unnecessary to bring your own filled out and notarized notice and felony disclosure form (if applicable) if you do not wish to. Office staff will be present throughout the filing period to assist you with completing the form and notarizing it. However, please have your filing fee ready in cash.
The candidate filing period for this year will begin on July 2nd at 12:00pm and run until July 16th at 12:00pm.