Alamance County Landfill officials are pleased to announce a household hazardous waste collection day on Saturday, October 21, 2017 from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. The site of the collection has changed for this event. The location will be in Holly Hill Mall’s parking lot, outside of Dunham’s Sports and behind Starbucks. The entrance will be on International Drive which is at the back of the mall. The address for Holly Hill Mall is 309 Huffman Mill Road, Burlington.
“We were approached earlier this year to consider changing locations in order to make it easier for residents on the western side of the county to participate. The Town of Elon assisted us with locating and obtaining a site with enough space to accommodate the anticipated participants,” says Assistant Solid Waste Director Emily Ball. “This continues to be an opportunity for citizens to properly dispose of unwanted materials they may have had for some time. We receive many calls from conscientious citizens asking what they should do with their unused paints, pesticides and household hazardous waste materials. We offer collection days where the public can dispose of these products free of charge. This is Alamance County Landfill’s 15th year offering a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program, and it continues to be a popular and valuable service to citizens.”
The following is a general list of materials that will be accepted on October 21st.
- Household cleaners, drain solvents, toilet bowl cleaners, oven cleaners, disinfectants
- Solvents, thinners, shellacs, varnishes, sealers, wood preservatives
- Automotive products including brake fluid, antifreeze, used motor oil up to 5 gallons per customer, motor oil filters, gasoline
- Pesticides and insecticides including poisons, aerosols, weed killers
- Miscellaneous materials such as acids, bases, kerosene, lead-based and electronic batteries, photographic chemicals, swimming pool chemicals, mercury, fluorescent light tubes
- Latex and oil-based paint and spray paint
- Propane Cylinders – (Grill and camp size ONLY)
Materials NOT acceptable for collection include:
- radioactives/smoke detectors
- medical waste including sharps
This free rain or shine collection event is for Alamance County residents only. No waste from businesses or commercial sources will be accepted. Members of the agricultural community are encouraged to participate in the event.
Alamance County Landfill sponsors this bi-annual event. Co-sponsors for this collection include Town of Elon, Alamance County Cooperative Extension, and the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (NCDA&CS) Pesticide Disposal Assistance Program (PDAP).
Contacts for Story:
Emily Ball, Assistant Solid Waste Director, W: 376-0411