Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about the LEPC

What is the Local Emergency Planning Committee?

The current LEPC was established in Alamance County subsequent to the 1986 Superfund Amendment and reauthorization Act (SARA) to respond to the need for communities to know more about chemical hazards in Alamance County and to develop specific local response plans for Alamance County. This committee consists of representatives from industry, interested community members, government officials, and individuals from specific agencies who assure that Alamance County has the planning and resource capabilities for Chemical Emergencies. The primary responsibility is to protect the public health and the environment from chemical hazards by continually identifying facilities that manufacture, process or store these materials in Alamance County. This responsibility extends to informing and educating the public about methods it can use to protect itself and to assist governmental agencies to become better prepared to meet possible emergency events caused by these hazardous materials.

Why was the LEPC formed?

When a chemical incident in India killed and injured thousands of people in 1984, there was concern as to whether that same kind of incident could happen here in the U.S. In answer to rising attention President Ronald Reagan signed the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act into law on October 16, 1986. Title III of that Act is known as the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA). One of the first actions of the Act was for each Governor to appoint a State Emergency Response Commission (SERC). This commission divided the state into Local Emergency Planning Districts (LEPD’s) and appointed members of that community to the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).

Who serves on the LEPC?

Members from certain agencies and businesses who have an interest or play an active role in response to chemical emergencies serve on the LEPC. They assist in the formation and annual review of an Emergency Plan that is required by law. EPCRA specifies certain roles that must be included in the membership of the LEPC. This membership includes state and local elected officials, police, firefighters, EMS, civil defense workers, public health, environmental, hospital, and transportation officials, industry representatives, news media public/community members. Individuals from each of these groups are appointed to the LEPC through the NC Emergency Response Commission.

Can I attend an LEPC meeting?


Our LEPC meets quarterly, usually in February, May, August and November. The meeting schedule for the next year is usually set at the November meeting and posted to our website.

For dates, locations and other information about past and upcoming LEPC meetings please go to or contact Emergency Management at 336-227-1365.

For additional contact information for the LEPC go to

Frequently Asked Questions about Tier II Reporting

What chemicals must be included in a Tier II report?

Facilities are required to report hazardous chemicals that were stored on site for more than a 24 hour period during the previous calendar year, including their maximum and average quantities and storage locations/conditions.

Hazardous chemicals are any substances for which a facility must maintain a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) under the OSHA Hazardous Communication Standard. Over 500,000 products have SDSs, which are normally obtained from the chemical manufacturer.
What other information must be included in a Tier II report?

Tier II reports also include:

Facility identification (facility/company name, owner/operator, physical location, mailing address, etc.)
Contact information (including 24-hour emergency contacts for emergency situations)
Site plans (if available)
Emergency response plans (if available)

Where do I submit my Tier II report?

To submit a Tier II report in Alamance County go to:

If your facility is also required to submit a report the North Carolina State Emergency Response Commission, you can do so at
Do I need to mail in a hard copy (printed) version of my Tier II report?


As of 1/19/2017 the Alamance County LEPC no longer requires facilities send in a hard copy (printed) Tier II report in addition to their electronic reports. The submitter’s name on the report will serve as an electronic signature.
What are Tier II reports used for?

The primary purpose of Tier II reports are to provide public safety officials with information about chemical hazards within their jurisdictions, along with other stakeholders with valid right-to-know.

Fire Departments and other public safety agencies use Tier II reports for facility pre-planning and during emergency responses at or near Tier II facilities.
Emergency Management use the data to map potential sources in proximity to sensitive receptors, and to identify capability or planning gaps that need to be addressed.
Medical providers use the data to make informed decisions about patients that might have been exposed to a hazardous chemical during an incident.
LEPC’s use the information to understand hazards in their community and develop chemical emergency response plans under EPCRA.

Are any chemicals excluded from Tier II reporting?

Section 311(e) of SARA Title III excludes the following substances:

Any food, food additive, color additive, drug, or cosmetic regulated by the Food and Drug Administration:
Any substance present as a solid in any manufactured item to the extent exposure to the substance does not occur under normal conditions of use;
Any substance to the extent it is used for personal, family, or household purposes, or is present in the same form and concentration as a product packaged for distribution and use by the general public;
Any substance to the extent it is used in a research laboratory or a hospital or other medical facility under the direct supervision of a technically qualified individual;
Any substance to the extent it is used in routine agricultural operations or is a fertilizer held for sale by a retailer to the ultimate customer.

Where can I get help completing my Tier II report?

Contact Emergency Management at 336-227-1365 or by email at
Do I also need to file a Tier II report with the state?


Depending on the amount of chemicals your facility has on site you may need to also submit a report with the State Emergency Response Commission (SERC). If so, you can do so at

For more information about state reporting requirements please visit:
What are the reporting thresholds in Alamance County?

The Tier II reporting thresholds for Alamance County are 55 gallons or 500 lbs of a hazardous substance. This includes motor fuels.