1) How can I tell what jurisdiction my property is in?
Please use the Alamance County GIS webpage

You can search by address, parcel number or owner name (look for a place to input these items on the left side of the page). If you have any problems, please contact our office and we will do our best to assist you.

Alamance County shall assume no liability for any errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in the information provided regardless of how caused; or any decision made or action taken or not taken by user in reliance upon any information or data furnished hereunder. The user knowingly waives any and all claims for damages against any and all of the entities comprising the Alamance County GIS System that may arise from the mapping data.

2) Does the County have old aerials of my property?
The County has a number of aerials on file. They are housed online in the “GIS Downloads” site. The site (and other GIS information) can be found on the County GIS Website.

3) What is my property zoned?
The unincorporated areas of Alamance County are not currently zoned. However, there may be other regulations that apply to your property that can affect development, such as a use included in the Heavy Industrial Development Ordinance, a Watershed Overlay district, Floodplain, or local municipalities’ Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ).

All of this information is available on the Alamance County GIS system. Please feel free to contact our office if you have questions related to uses on a property.

4) Does the County provide water or sewer?
The County does not provide public water or sewer service and does not have access to maps showing where sewer is currently available. Water and sewer are currently offered by local municipalities. Please contact the municipalities for more information (See Helpful Links).

5) What are the structure setbacks in Alamance County? Where are they published?
The Setbacks are in the Subdivision Ordinance, Section 67.

Setbacks are as follows:
Front (from Right-of-way line):
Arterial: 40’
Major Collector: 40’
Minor Collector: 35’
Local: 30’
Side Right-of-way Line Abutting a Street: 25’
Side Property Line Street: 10’
Rear Property Line: 20’*
From a Cul-De-Sac Right-of-way Line: 30’**

* Accessory structures may be located to within three (3) feet of rear property line or easement line, if one exists.
** Cul-de-sac lots shall have a minimum frontage of 20’ feet at the street right-of-way line and a minimum width of 60’ feet at the front setback line (30’ feet from the right-of- way line).

Buildings and structures shall not be erected within the setback area between said lot lines and the building setback lines.
Additional restrictions may apply depending on the presence of streams, other structures, or other building code requirements.

Please contact the Planning Department if you have any further questions.

6) I think my neighbor has built too close to my property line. Can you check my property lines for me?
The Planning Department is not able to verify property lines in the field. We generally recommended contacting a registered surveyor to locate and mark property lines.

7) Can you give me a copy of the deed or survey to my property?
Property surveys (plats) and deeds are usually recorded with the Register of Deeds and will be available online. 
If you have trouble locating your plat or deed, please contact either the Register of Deeds (336-570-6565) or the Planning Department for further assistance.

8) I think there is a stream on my property, but I am not sure. Can you locate the stream for me?
The Planning Department is certified by the State of North Carolina to verify if a stream is located on your property and if the stream is perennial, intermittent, or ephemeral. If a stream identification is needed, please contact our department at 336-570-4052.

9) My neighbor’s grass is too tall. Can you do something about it?
The County currently does not have a “tall grass” ordinance. However, if the grass is over 10” in height around what may appear to be an abandoned mobile home, we can evaluate the property of compliance with our Dead Storage of Manufactured Homes Ordinance.

Please contact our offices or submit a complaint using the Complaint Form.

10) My neighbor has a junk vehicle. What can you do about it?
According to our Abandoned, Junk, and Nuisance Motor Vehicles Ordinance, the following rules apply to the vehicle:

  • Does not display a current license plate, and
  • Is partially dismantled or wrecked, or
  • Cannot be self-propelled or moved in the manner in which originally was intended to move and is not being renovated/restored, or
  • Is more than five (5) years old and appears to be worth less than one hundred dollars
  • An owner may have up to 3 junked motor vehicles provided the vehicle is kept behind the main structure or house and is covered by a car cover or heavy canvas cover that is properly secured

11) Does the County maintain my street?
The County does not own or maintain any roads within the County. Please check your plat (see question 7, above) to verify if your street is public or private. If the street is public, please contact the North Carolina Division of Transportation with any questions.  A helpful reference is available at the NCDOT Frequently Asked Questions.

For transportation planning questions such as future road, paving, or other projects, please contact the Burlington Graham Metropolitan Planning Organization or call 336-513-5418.

12) How can I find my property lines?
A plat can be requested at the Register of Deeds.  After that, you will need to contact a surveyor to locate your lines.

13) Where do I go for issues with addressing, road naming, and street name signs?
Addressing and road naming are managed by our GIS Department’s Addressing Coordinator per the Addressing and Road Naming Ordinance. Please contact them here.

If you have noticed a street name sign is missing, please let us know by using our Street Sign Reporting Tool

(Please note: we only replace street signs in the Alamance County jurisdiction.)

14) How can I file a general complaint?
You can file a complaint using our online Planning Complaint Form.