Business & Non-Profit Services at the Library
The Alamance County Public Library can be an important resource for entrepreneurs, small businesses, and no-profits. Librarians can help with market and demographic research with databases and directories like Data Axle Reference Solutions (formerly Reference USA), or company, industry, economic and geopolitical market research from three resources, including Hoover’s Company Profiles, OxResearch from Oxford Analytica, and Snapshots from Business Market Research Collection.
NC Center for Nonprofits – www.ncnonprofits.org
- Find a Book
- Get a Library Card
- Renew/Request a Book
- Find Hours & Locations
- Check the Events Calendar
- Download & Stream Books
- Print Wirelessly
- Search Our Resources
- Make a Suggestion
- Reserve a Zoom Pass
- Reserve a Book Club Kit
- Volunteer at the Library
- Request a Mobile Library/Café Stop
- Request a Meeting Room
- Get a Passport
Small Business Information
BLNC (Business Link North Carolina) – get answers to questions about business licensing and permitting, legal structures, forms, tax requirements, financing resources, hiring employees, and more.
Toll Free: (800) 228-8443
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Se Habla Español
Small Business Center, Alamance Community College – Small businesses need nurture and support in order to grow and to increase profitability. At our Small Business Center, business owners can access a variety of resources and tools that are proven to help businesses prosper. We offer confidential counseling for your specific needs, a wide range of online learning options, and workshops designed to help small businesses succeed.
For small business people and entrepreneurs, the May Memorial library carries Small Business Sourcebook, a guide to information on starting specific businesses, and loose leaf industry surveys from both Moody’s and Standard and Poor’s. Also available are leaflets from the U.S. Small Business Administration, and several sources on capital opportunities, grants, and loans for small business.
Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC) – helps North Carolina businesses grow and create new jobs by providing management counseling and educational services to small and mid-sized businesses.
A consortium of your community’s economic developers, business organizations and local governments. In Alamance County, North Carolina, there is ‘no wrong door’ when you seek business services.
Those interested in marketing and demographics will find pertinent information in Sales & Marketing Management Magazine, the Alamance County Chamber of Commerce Economic Profile, the Rand-McNally Commercial Atlas and Marketing Guide, and the numerous publications of the U.S. Bureau of the Census. Key economic indicators and financial ratios are to be found in The Monthly Labor Review, Economic Indicators newsletter, and The Almanac of Business and Industrial Financial Ratios.
The Alamance Chamber works hard to enhance the welfare of Alamance County business as well as promote and stimulate economic vitality for our members and the community.
Entrepreneurial Learning Center
Learning how to think like an entrepreneur can change your life.
Whether you want to build a business, transform your organization, or reinvent your career, an entrepreneurial mindset provides a new perspective; one that will expose new opportunities, ignite your ambition and cultivate the confidence and the creativity, the self-reliance and the resourcefulness that are essential for anyone to adapt and thrive in today’s rapidly changing world.
* You will need your library card for these resources *
* Data Axle Reference Solutions (formerly Reference USA) – helps users of all kinds search for jobs, research U.S. businesses, create marketing and small business plans, locate specific people and more.
* MasterFILE Premier – General reference magazines and publications covering a wide-range of subject areas including business, health, education, general science and multicultural issues. Includes peer reviewed publications. Includes many complete articles from more than 1500 periodicals from 1990 to present
* ProQuest Research Library – General reference database from business and political science to literature and psychology scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, and daily news content, accessible to readers and researchers at every level.
* Accounting, Tax & Banking Collection – Journal articles, reference reports, proceedings, and dissertations covering current news and topics as well as the trends and history influencing important accounting and tax issues.
* Asian & European Business Collection – This database provides information pertinent to the study of business and finance topics across Asia and Europe, including academic journals, newspapers, newswires, and magazines. Find information on companies, economies, markets, international trade, and overall business conditions and practices throughout these regions.
* Political Science Database – Political science and international relations journals, dissertations and working papers on topics such as comparative politics, political economy, international development, and environmental policy.
Data.gov Data, tools, and resources for research, web and mobile applications, and data visualizations.
NAICS search Find the North American Industry Code for industry-level data.
Small Business Administration Resources for starting, financing, and managing a small business
ThomasNet Directory of manufacturers. A librarian can provide a login for use in the library.
Census Business Builder: Small Business Edition 3.2.0 – Determine the best location for your business using Census data.
* Wall Street Journal – Full articles from the Wall Street Journal (1981-current). Includes many complete articles from 1984 to present.
* Global Breaking Newswires – provides timely access to newswire content from around the globe as well as growing archive of news.
* New York Times – Full articles from the New York Times (1980-current).
* US Newsstream – News content from many national and international newspapers, newswires and selected news magazines.
Economic & Statistical Information
* Statistical Abstract of the United States – An authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic conditions of the United States.
* State Data Center – The site includes population, economic, and income data as well as county profiles and rankings.
* Morningstar Investment Research Center – Includes research and independent opinions on thousands of mutual funds, stocks, and hundreds of ETFs.