Library users can begin the registration process online. You can use this number and PIN to place holds on materials in the library catalog. A temporary account number can also be used to access NC LIVE resources. No check out of materials or computer use is allowed using a temporary registration. Visit any of the Alamance County Public Libraries with a photo ID and proof of your current, local address to get your permanent card. Children under age 17 must have a parent’s signature to receive a card.
Using Your Library Card
- Any person who lives or works in Alamance County may apply for a library card at any member library. Residents of neighboring counties may also apply for a FREE library card, including: Chatham County, Orange County, Caswell County, Guilford County, Randolph County and Rockingham County.
- Applicants for a library card must provide photo identification and proof of their current, local address.
- Children under age 17 must have a parent’s signature to receive a card.
- There is a replacement fee of $1.00 for lost or damaged cards.
- Library users must notify the library of any change of address.
- Patrons must pay any outstanding fines down to $9.99 or less before renewing their card. Library cards expire every two years.
- PLEASE BE AWARE that all library cards have the same rights and privileges – any library cardholder may borrow any item in the library regardless of their age. Only a parent can decide what is appropriate for their child.
You may use your card at any public library branch in Alamance County. Library materials may be returned at any branch of the Alamance County Public Libraries.
Library users must present their library card, photo ID, or have a photo on their account to check out materials.
Books and materials:
- Most materials are due three weeks from the day checked out.
- The library staff may limit the number of items for checkout at their discretion.
- New & Lucky Day movies are checked out for one week.
- Other movies are checked out for three weeks.
- There is a limit of 10 movies per person at any time.
- If an item is not on the shelf or belongs to another Alamance County branch, borrowers may ask to be placed on a waiting list.
- Borrowers will be notified when the item is available.
- Arrived requests will be held for 3 days. Requests not picked up within 3 days will be returned to circulation.
- Borrowers must have a valid library card in order to place a hold on an item.
- With a PIN, borrowers may place hold requests online.
- Overdue notices are a voluntary service of the library. Failure to receive a notice will not eliminate the borrower’s responsibility to return items on time.
- Borrowers with items more than 3 weeks overdue and/or accrued fines of greater than $9.99 will have their borrowing privileges revoked. Privileges will not be reinstated until the items are returned and the fees are paid.
- Accounts of $25.00 or more, or with items 49 days overdue will be referred to a collection agency, resulting in a $10.00 service charge.
- Library materials may be renewed twice, if no one is waiting for them.
- Materials may be renewed by telephone.
- Online renewal is also available. Library users interested in renewing materials online should ask library staff for a PIN.
Your library card provides access to public computers and internet at all Alamance County Public Libraries. Parent/guardian must sign ACPL’s Computer Policy for users under 17 years of age. See Computer Use Policy for more information. Charges apply for computer printouts.
Your library PIN is a four-digit number that you choose. We recommend that you select something you can easily remember. PINs are used to access the public computers in the library, use the self-service check-out stations, and to log into your library account from home. You may set or change your PIN in person or over the phone, with verification of your identity.
Receive email or text notification when your requested materials have arrived. Email and text overdue notices let you know when materials are due, and remind you again at 14 and 28 days past due. If you would like to receive email or text notifications, let the library staff know.
- Borrowers are responsible for the price of lost, plus a $5 processing fee.
- Lost materials must be paid for in full.
- Borrowers are eligible to receive a refund of the purchase price for lost items returned in good condition within 1 year. The processing fee is non-refundable.
INTERLIBRARY LOAN SERVICES
- ILL is a service through which library materials not available in Alamance County Public Libraries are borrowed from other library systems.
- Similar to a hold, you will be contacted when your ILL comes in. If you don’t pick it up within 3 days (or make other arrangements), it will be returned to the lending library.
- Return the item just as you would any other materials; the due date will be printed on the wrap around the item.
LUCKY DAY COLLECTION
Special copies of selected bestseller book and DVD titles are available on a first-come, first served basis. There is a limit of two Lucky Day materials at a time, which checkout for 7 days. This service is sponsored by the Friends of Alamance County Public Libraries.
Meeting rooms are available for public use during normal library hours of operation without charge. Certain restrictions apply, and applications must be approved in advance. See ACPL’s Meeting Room Policy & Application Form for more information.
ACPL offers a variety of programs for patrons of all ages. Library programs are free and open to the public. Ask library staff for more information about our programs, or visit our calendar page.
How do I…
- Find a Book
- Get a Library Card
- Renew/Request a Book
- Find Hours & Locations
- Check the Events Calendar
- Download & Stream Books
- Print Wirelessly
- Search Our Resources
- Make a Suggestion
- Reserve a Zoom Pass
- Reserve a Book Club Kit
- Volunteer at the Library
- Request a Mobile Library/BookMARK Stop
- Request a Meeting Room