NC Works – NC Works has a variety of resources for job seekers including a job search of current openings throughout North Carolina, career help, education and training resources, resume writing, job market information, and more. Searching for a job does not require an account but using other resources requires you to create an account with personal information, including your social security number.
Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center – Comprehensive resource that enables users to explore industries and careers, plan their education, and research best practices for résumés, cover letters, interviewing, networking, and salaries/benefits. The database includes articles, career advice blogs, and streaming video. You will need to enter your library card number to access. For a video tutorial click here.
EBSCO Learning Express / PrepStep – Suite of highly-acclaimed eLearning solutions which provide interactive tutorials, practice tests, e-books, flashcards and articles for academic skill-building, standardized test preparation, career development and more.
Job & Career Accelerator from Learning Express – Whether you’re looking to find a new job in your current field or pursue a career in an exciting new industry, get detailed information on more than 1,100 occupations. Find careers that match your skills and interests. Access millions of current job and internship postings. Create professional resumes and cover letters, master interviewing and networking techniques, and more.
Data Axle Reference Solutions (formerly Reference USA) – search millions of job postings. You will need to enter your library card number to access.
Many online resume builders seem free but will require you to pay when you try to download or print. These are free resume builders:
- Cypress Resume is the simplest, most effective tool for resume creation on the market today. Specifically designed for job seekers skittish about writing.
- Visual CV Resume Creator – available on Gale Testing & Education Reference Center under Career/Resume Writing (you will need a library card to access).
- For a simple resume try Cypress Resume (you will need a library card to access).
- CVmaker is a website that allows you to create a free resume to download and print. Create a free account to make changes at a later time.
- Microsoft Word templates (available on library computers).
Here are 43 tips on how to write a winning resume.
Never written a cover letter before? Need to update your cover letter for the perfect job? Here are some online articles to help you get started.
How Do I…
Congratulations for landing a job interview! Here are some tips to help you prepare.