This 190 acre natural area contains approximately 5 miles of hiking trails and is part of the Haw River Trial/Mountains to Sea Trail. The park also features access to the Haw River Trail paddle trail, backcountry camping and picnic areas.
Shallow Ford features over 5 miles of natural surface hiking trails and is part of the Haw River Trail and North Carolina Mountains to Sea Trail. Download a Shallow Ford Trail Map.
Shallow Ford Natural Area is part of the Haw River Paddle Trail. For more information on the Trail visit www.thehaw.org
Primative camping is available at Shallow Ford Natural Area. There is a $10 fee for Alamance County residents and Non-residents for each group of 10 campers. The department does require that a responsible adult be with each group. The campsites are accessible by canoe from the Haw River or by a several mile hike from the parking area. You can reserve a site by going here. Call (336) 270-5124 for more information.
Picnic Tables, a gazebo and restrooms are available near the entrance to the park.
Park Hours: 8:00am - 7:00pm
Park Gate is locked at closing time. Do not leave your vehicle parked at a trailhead after the posted closing time.
Park rules are enforced by the Alamance County Sheriff’s Department. In case of emergency call 911.
The following actions are prohibited:
• Possession or Use of Alcohol or Illegal Drugs
• Setting Fires Outside of Fire Rings or Grills
• Littering or Defacing of County Property
• Possession of Weapons in Violation of State Law
• Solicitation or Advertising of Any Kind
• Failure to Have Pets on a Leash
• Removal of Plants or Other Natural Materials
• Fishing from Boat Launch Area
• Use of Motor Vehicles Outside of Parking Area
• Riding of Bikes or Horses on Trails