The Eli Whitney Community Center serves southern Alamance County residents as a resource for recreation and leisure needs. The facility includes a dog park, outdoor walking track, multipurpose field, playground equipment, a full-sized gymnasium, and a fitness room.
4110 E. Greensboro-Chapel Hill Rd.
Graham, NC 27253
Programs and Hours
Open Gym & Open Fitness CenterThe gymnasium at Eli Whitney is open for free play on select days and times. The fitness center is open when the gym is. Please refer to the calendar above for this month’s hours.
Senior Bingo is held every Wednesday morning from 9:00am until 11:00am at the Old Eli Whitney Fire Department. Free to play and prizes for winners! There is a potluck lunch every other month on the 2nd Wednesday at 11am. Fried Chicken, sodas and paper products will be provided. Bring a side dish or dessert. Call 336-376-6376 for more information.
Uncle Eli’s Quilting Party
The Eli Whitney Recreation Center annually hosts Uncle Eli’s Quilting Party on the first Thursday of April. The Party was started in 1931 by E.P. Dixon, an educator at the old Eli Whitney High School. During the event, area quilters bring quilts to display and projects to work on together. There is also a potluck lunch. Some years feature special exhibitions, such as the 2015 exhibition of antique ladies’ bonnets, 2016 exhibition of antique sewing machines, and 2017 exhibition of lace (crocheted, knitted, tatted, hairpin, and Tambour).
Recently the Sharing Table has also been added, a way for quilters to share their resources through a “bring one, take one” swap of quilting books, magazines, and fat quarters. The event is open to the community.
Eli Whitney Dog Park
The Eli Whitney dog park will be closed to the public on Saturday & Sunday, March 27-28, 2021 for an event.
The Eli Whitney dog park is located in the former ball field to the left of the main building. The area is fully fenced. Waste baggies and receptacles are provided.
To help keep Eli Whitney Dog Park a safe and friendly environment, we request that everyone abide by the following rules:
- The Dog Park is open daily from sunup to sundown.
- Owners of dogs are legally responsible for their dog’s conduct. This includes liability for any injury or damage caused by their dog.
- Dogs must maintain current vaccinations to utilize the off-leash area. Owner must carry proof of current rabies vaccine.
- Dogs are the only animal permitted in the fenced off-leash area. All dogs must be on-leash outside of the fenced off-leash area.
- Puppies less than four (4) months old are not permitted inside the off-leash play area.
- Dog owners must remain in the fenced area within view of their dog(s) and have voice control at all times.
- Children accompanying dog owners must be strictly supervised.
- Aggressive dogs, female dogs in heat, and sick dogs are not allowed inside the off-leash area. Owners must immediately leash and remove dogs from the dog park at the first sign of aggressive behavior.
- Please pick up and dispose of waste properly in the designated on-site containers.
- Alcoholic beverages and smoking are not permitted on park property.
- No more than three 3 dogs per person are allowed on any single visit.
- Owners must fill in any hole that their dog digs on the site property.
- North Carolina State Law requires all dog bites to be reported to Alamance County Animal Control Department. In addition, owners are required to assist in the investigation of incidents of aggression or biting by providing appropriate identification and information to Alamance County Animal Control Department, and to other dog owners who are involved with the incident under investigation.
If you need non-emergency assistance please call Alamance Parks at 336-229-2410 or 336-570-6759. Please call 911 for all emergencies.
ENJOY YOUR VISIT!